Thursday, March 17, 2011

A View of Morocco

Until now, I have not posted many photographs here as I have striven to include only those which illuminate the articles that I have written.  I have tried to include several photos here which will represent the many aspects of my holiday up to this point.  I have taken hundreds of photographs and it would be quite impossible to include them all here.  I hope however that this will give my readers an idea of what I have seen thus far.  

Relaxing Moroccan style in the home of some friends.


I am standing before a drinking fountain in the medina.  It is difficult to say how old it must be.  Notice the beautiful tile work and engraving.  This is commonly seen every where one looks in Fes.  
My friends and I standing before one of the gates to the medina.
Sheesha is rather common here.
A view of the city of Fes from a hill top fortress.  
Here I am in the Jellaba which I received as a present from the father of my friend Youness.
Moroccan ceilings are often adorned with this beautiful plasterwork.  
I am standing before an inscription of the Moroccan declaration of independence which was written when they threw off French rule.  
A Moroccan chandelier. 
Youness and I standing before a museum in the medina.
Here you can look through another of the medina's gates to see one of the city's many towering minarets.  
Here I stand in the Jewish cemetery in Fes.  I am in the tomb of the grand Rabbis in this photograph.  Some people do not realize that there was once a very large population of Jews in Morocco.   
Here is one of the beautiful windows from an old synagogue that we visited.  
Here I stand before the gate of the Mellah (Jewish quarter) in Fes.  The Mellah was usually situated near the palace so that they could have the protection of the sultan.   
Here I stand on a beautiful tree lined avenue in Fes.  I am told that it is the longest avenue in Northern Africa.

Moroccan homes are very elegant.




I hope that you all have enjoyed your little tour of Fes with me.  I will be posting more photos both of Fes and of the other places that I will visit.  Salaam for now.

Jillali (جيلالي)


























1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, I have enjoyed reading your blog.

    Jammie Stephens

    ReplyDelete